Sunday, September 16, 2007

I-RI(N)SE and C

The acronym in the title (which was given by Dr. Bonk, for the purpose of we should compile notecards from the readings) stands for:
I: teacher issues
R: roles
IN: incentives
S: supports
E: expectations
and C comes from my concerns while reading the articles.

Sitting in front of the huge web/techno cosmos, even sometimes I get lost -not lost; for real of course! In Turkey we say "Things don't get lost; they just displace". So misplacely, I find myself browsing a digital zoo or a youtube video in place of reading the articles for the next week:) Ok, I believe that we learn from everything and everywhere but not everytime we get educated. We are living in an age of interest rather than an age of information. Therefore; in this ongoing era and in front of this extensive web resources, instructors should work harder to arouse interest for the educational issues.
And also time management has been an important problem of all times! (for me especially in these times)

Another concern for me is related to internet access. Although I was graduated from Bosphorus University which gives education in English, I have difficulties in speaking and listening. I think it will take some time for me to get used to the speaking acts. But as Wingard specified in her multi-institutional study that 'competent student with a weak background in a prerequisite skill for a given course could be directed to relevant supplemental resources on the Web or students could revisit content as often as needed'. Hence, this is a great incentive for an international student like me. But what if I haven't got a computer or an internet connection? For the students in America who live even barely this may not seem an important concern; but what if the students are from a third world country who itself barely survive?

Also the idea of flexible scheduling is a revolution in education history I think. As Parker noted in her article Motivation and Incentives for Distance Faculty: 'Technology-mediated instruction can be accessed 24/7 from nearly any location, opening the potential for working students, parents of young children, and those with dissabilities to reach their educational goals.' However, you must still have access to the internet.

And I am concerned about the employment issues. In the article 'What Do Online MBA Professors Have to Say About Online Teaching', it is recorded that student enrollment to an accredited online MBA program in a large Midwestern university increased from 14 in 1999 to nearly 1000 in 2007 (which means nearly a %700 increase); but the number of program staff members increased from 3 to 20 which means an increase by %600. Actually, increasing class size against relatively decreasing staff members seems as a benefit for universities. But what about the education alumni of Ramkhhamhaeg university; will they be able to find an occupation easily?

1 comment:

deepali said...

I think some of the observations are great. I completely agree with your concern about internet access in other countries. I voiced a similar concern the last time we had a podcast with Dr Bonk.
I would like to add something to about the large amount of web resources available today. It is not only the responsibility of the instructors to keep the students hooked, but the students need to understand that they have to make optimum use of the all the resources. With the kind of technology available it might actually be easier than before to ensure student attention and involvement.
-Deepali